Subject: poll broken (for can) (was: Re: Multiple programs trying to access the socket)

From: Marc Kleine-Budde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 18:13:36 +0200

On 03/28/2011 05:55 PM, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
>> BTW: I figured out why poll() wakes you up but the next write will fail
>> with -ENOBUFS again.
> 
> Ah, I'm curious? I also did realize that poll does burn CPU cycles
> (instead of waiting).

The poll callback checks if the used memory is less than the half of per
socket snd buffer (IIRC ~60K). See:

datagram_poll (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/net/core/datagram.c#L737)
sock_writeable (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/include/net/sock.h#L1618)

Because the size of a can frame (+the skb overhead) is much less then
the ethernet frame (+overhead) the default value for the snd buffer is
too big for can.

We get the -ENOBUF from write() if the tx_queue_len (default 10) is
exceeded.

http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/drivers/net/can/dev.c#L435
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/net/can/af_can.c#L268

cheers, Marc

-- 
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |
Vertretung West/Dortmund          | Fax:   +49-5121-206917-5555 |
Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686  | http://www.pengutronix.de   |

_______________________________________________
Socketcan-users mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/socketcan-users