Subject: r8169 misleading firmware error messages

From: Fejes József <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:27:01 +0200

Hi,

I'm using Linux 2.6.38.3 with a Realtek 8169 card, ID: 10ec:8168 
(integrated into an Intel D945GSEJT mobo). It never needed any firmware 
files, and when I was using 2.6.37, it never complained about it either. 
Now it does complain (but it still works perfectly):

r8169 0000:01:00.0: eth0: unable to apply firmware patch

Also when I do initramfs stuff:

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-2.fw for 
module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for 
module r8169

So then I installed the rtl_nic firmware files, and the error messages 
were gone.

How do I know if it actually tries to load the firmware at all? I see 
there's a condition, if an rtl_readphy returns a wrong value, it doesn't 
even try to load the firmware and just prints the message. Although this 
wouldn't explain why the error message disappeared when the files were 
there.

Clearly, my device works without these firmware files. If my device 
works better with them, or if there are other similar devices which 
require it, I think there should be a configuration option to disable 
this firmware stuff and its benefits altogether so that it doesn't even 
report that it needs it.

Best regards,

-- 
Fejes József
http://joco.name