Subject: Testing interface removal speedup patches from Eric Dumazet.

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 11:37:37 -0700

These two patches look good to me.  My benchmark has lots of extraneous
overhead (process launch per action, primarily), so the numbers bounce around
quite a bit on different runs, but it seems consistent that removing vlans
is slightly faster, and removing VETH is much faster.

NOTE:  for VETH, it's creating and dealing with pairs..so 500 veth
means 1000 interfaces in the results below.

The script to generate these results is attached.

System is Atom N270, running Fedora 14.  Kernel has HZ 1000,
pre-empt, SMP, compiled for Pentium II.

With patches:

Created 500 veth in 17.874695 seconds (0.03574939 per interface).
Added IP addresses in 23.306214 seconds (0.046612428 per addr).
Deleted 500 veth in 17.023607 seconds. (0.034047214 per interface)

Created 1000 macvlan in 20.005472 seconds (0.020005472 per interface).
Added IP addresses in 24.870693 seconds (0.024870693 per addr).
Deleted 1000 macvlan in 44.899769 seconds. (0.044899769 per interface)

Created 1000 vlan in 21.343862 seconds (0.021343862 per interface).
Added IP addresses in 24.088452 seconds (0.024088452 per addr).
Deleted 1000 vlan in 42.623666 seconds. (0.042623666 per interface)

Without:

Created 500 veth in 22.507598 seconds (0.045015196 per interface).
Added IP addresses in 28.637194 seconds (0.057274388 per addr).
Deleted 500 veth in 34.998733 seconds. (0.069997466 per interface)

Created 1000 macvlan in 27.903848 seconds (0.027903848 per interface).
Added IP addresses in 29.725436 seconds (0.029725436 per addr).
Deleted 1000 macvlan in 58.552433 seconds. (0.058552433 per interface)

Created 1000 vlan in 33.733169 seconds (0.033733169 per interface).
Added IP addresses in 29.755363 seconds (0.029755363 per addr).
Deleted 1000 vlan in 54.858484 seconds. (0.054858484 per interface)

--
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com