Subject: Re: [PATCH] iproute2: Add processless network namespace support.

From: Chris Friesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:35:15 -0600

On 05/26/2011 02:58 PM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> The goal of this code change is to implement a mechanism such that it is
> simple to work with a kernel that is using multiple network namespaces
> at once.
>
> This comes in handy for interacting with vpns where there may be rfc1918
> address overlaps, and different policies default routes, name servers
> and the like.
>
> Configuration specific to a network namespace that would ordinarily be
> stored under /etc/ is stored under /etc/netns/<name>.  For example if
> the dns server configuration is different for your vpn you would create
> a file /etc/netns/myvpn/resolv.conf.

That would be interesting.  Currently I use dnsmasq to keep my DNS 
servers straight when connecting in to two different corporate VPNs 
simultaneously.

I could see it being interesting trying to remember which shell sessions 
were running in which network namespace...

Chris

-- 
Chris Friesen
Software Developer
GENBAND
[email-masked]
www.genband.com