Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] net: msm_ipc: Add user-space support for MSM_IPC Router

From: Karthikeyan Ramasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:06:18 -0600

On 6/9/2011 1:11 AM, David Miller wrote:
>
> There is no reason to create a whole new socket address family, use
> genetlink instead.
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe netdev" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

The prospect of using NETLINK sockets was investigated and it seems to 
be supporting the communication between user-space and kernel-space 
processes.

One of the requirements/goals for this MSM_IPC Router is to enable the 
communication between the processes running on different processors & 
OSes, and the addressing mechanism of NETLINK sockets is insufficient to 
address the processes running in different processors and OSes.

We also have the requirements of built-in name service, remote process's 
status detection, location transparency etc. That is the reason for this 
home-grown solution with a requirement for new socket address family.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks and Regards,
Karthik.

-- 
Sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum.