Subject: Re: [RFC 5/5] [powerpc] Implement a p1010rdb clock source.

From: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:16:48 +0200

On 08/08/2011 04:48 PM, Robin Holt wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 04:37:44PM +0200, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
>> On 08/08/2011 04:21 PM, Robin Holt wrote:
...
>> Well, I wrote above: "Well, no. Let's wait. I don't think we need it."
> 
> My question remains "What should we be naming the device tree node in
> general.  Line 5 of the fsl-flexcan.txt file specifically calls the node
> "fsl,flexcan-v1.0"  In the .dts file the freescale patches introduces into
> the arch/powerpc portion of the kernel, they call it that same thing.

We should provide a patch removing that doc. The version suffix does not
follow the device tree convention. A proper compatibility string would be:

  "fsl,p1010-flexcan", "fsl,flexcan"

But as the Flexcan on the P1010 is not treated differently,
"fsl,flexcan" is just fine. Also, the v1.0 is only for the PowerPC SOCs
(ignoring ARM).

> Likewise, in the code already checked into uboot it is the same name.
> Whether it is needed or not for the clock frequency, it does need to
> be consistent between the .dts file and the driver for device discovery
> to work.

Yes, depending on what we decide we need to clean that up as well.

Wolfgang.