Subject: Linux vs FreeBSD Which is correct.

From: Stephen Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:03:18 -0400

Hello List,

Firstly thank you for your patience.  I am replacing a bunch of FreeBSD 
vpn/fw/routers
with a Linux based system.

I have run into a situation where if I ping our HQ the response comes 
back on a different
interface than what the request went out on. FreeBSD is happy and says 
it got the response,
Linux is not and gives no indication it got a response.

So is FreeBSD wrong or is Linux wrong?

Or is there some sysctl I can fiddle with on Linux to make it see the 
response. This happens
with the iptables set to accept on all chains.

Thanks again for your indulgence. I googled this and didn't find 
anything germane.

-- 

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty
decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)