Subject: Re: [Bugme-new] [Bug 41152] New: kernel 3.0 and above fails to handle vlan id 0 (802.1p) packets properly without hardware acceleration

From: Mike Auty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 23:48:41 +0100

On 17/08/11 11:59, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> 
> I just obtained very similar card (8086:422b). Going to look at it right
> away.
> 
> One more thing. What do you use to generate vlan0 tagged packets? I'm
> using pktgen with "vlan_id 0". Would you please try that it behaves the
> same for you?
> 	

Sorry, I haven't been using pktgen.  I've got an actual device (a
Samsung android phone) which seems to tag all normal outbound packets
with this type of vlan tag.  I only discovered a month ago that I needed
the 8021q module to be able to talk to it, and then suddenly it stopped
working once I moved to the 3.0 kernel.

I might not have made it clear, but the packets are received (in so much
as the packet is definitely sent, and it's seen by tools such as
wireshark), but no reply is ever sent.  I've attached packet logs from
the 3.0.1 kernel and the 2.6.39.3 kernel.  Oddly the tagging only seems
to be used on the first SYN,ACK packet, but again I don't know enough
about the pipeline or what the Samsung kernel's doing to cause that.

I hope that's of some help?  I may be able to get systemtap support
rolled into my kernel tomorrow at some point, but if not then it will
have to wait until the weekend.  I don't know if that will provide
useful information for debugging this, but I am happy to run whatever
tests I can to figure this out...

Mike  5:)