Subject: Re: [PATCH] per-cgroup tcp buffer limitation

From: Glauber Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 22:09:46 -0300

On 09/06/2011 10:08 PM, Paul Menage wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Glauber Costa<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> This patch introduces per-cgroup tcp buffers limitation. This allows
>> sysadmins to specify a maximum amount of kernel memory that
>> tcp connections can use at any point in time. TCP is the main interest
>> in this work, but extending it to other protocols would be easy.

Hi Paul,

> The general idea of limiting total socket buffer memory consumed by a
> cgroup is a fine idea, but I think it needs to be integrated more
> closely with the existing kernel memory cgroup tracking efforts,
> especially if you're trying to use as generic a name as "kmem" for it.
Can you be more specific?

The generic part of kmem cgroup in this patch is quite simple. I think 
any other patchset would have a very easy time merging things into it.
90 % is sockets.

>
> I agree with Kamezawa's comments that you need a lot more documentation.
Working on it right now.