Subject: Re: intel 82599 multi-port performance

From: Chris Friesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:40:24 -0600

On 09/26/2011 10:04 AM, Alexander Duyck wrote:

> It sounds like you are using a single card, would that be correct? If
> you are running close to line rate on both ports this could be causing
> you to saturate the PCIe x8 link.

According to 
"http://communities.intel.com/community/wired/blog/2009/06/08/understanding-pci-express-bandwidth" 
8x PCIe should have a bandwidth of 4GB/s.  2 10Gigabit ports is 2.5GB/s.

The 82599 only goes up to 8x, so I'd expect that it should be sufficient 
to handle the full traffic.

To any of the Intel guys out there...any ideas?  Can an 82599 on an 8x 
bus handle max line rate with minimum size packets?

Chris

-- 
Chris Friesen
Software Developer
GENBAND
[email-masked]
www.genband.com