Subject: Re: macvlan/macvtap patch in patchwork

From: "Ward, David - 0663 - MITLL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:10:31 -0400

Sorry if my commit message was not descriptive enough -- I can revise it 
if you would like.

The macvlan and macvtap drivers both call macvlan_queue_xmit when 
sending outgoing frames.  In the case of unicast frames between 
macvlan/macvtap devices, we first forward the frame to the lowerdev, so 
that its network taps can see it.

The problem is that I was forwarding the frame to the lowerdev the wrong 
way, by calling vlan->forward which serves a different purpose.  
vlan->forward points to dev_forward_skb for macvlan (so the forwarding 
works fine), but it points to macvtap_forward for macvtap (which causes 
an oops when called here).  We need to always use dev_forward_skb to 
forward to a lowerdev.

David

On 27/09/11 15:14, David Miller wrote:
> Could you guys please review:
>
> 	http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/115273/
>
> My gut instinct is that the current behavior is intentional, but since
> the patch submitter didn't describe exactly what the undesirable
> behavior is it's hard to tell what the patch is actually fixing.
>
> Thanks.

-- 
David Ward, Associate Staff
Wideband Tactical Networking Group
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
Office: 781-981-4266
Mobile: 781-999-1925
Fax: 781-981-4583