Subject: Subnet router anycast for FE80/10 ?

From: Andreas Hofmeister <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:22:41 +0100

Hi,

I noticed that once forwarding has been enabled on an interface, there 
is a "subnet router anycast address" for the link-local address prefix 
FE80/10.

This address seems not to be explicitly mentioned in any RFC, but RFC 
4291 says "All routers are required to support the Subnet-Router anycast 
addresses for the subnets to which they have interfaces."

In the sense that a Linux router actually has an address FE80/10 on each 
ipv6 enabled interface, it seems to be correct to also have FE80:: as an 
anycast address on all interfaces which have ipv6 and forwarding enabled.

But then, FE80/10 is not actually supposed to be routed at all and so a 
router cannot not really be a router for that particular subnet ?

Or is "FE80::" just supposed to be the anycast equivalent for the "all 
routers" multicast address ff02::2 ?

Maybe someone on this list could enlighten me.

Ciao
  Andi