Subject: Re: Kernel v3.0.8 igb driver dies when pulling network cable

From: Alexander Duyck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:20:12 -0800

Stefan,

You are going to need to clarify some things since as far as I know we
never released a v3.0.8 driver, and the kernel in the bug below is a
version 2.6.40.8 which sounds more like a modified and possibly
backported Linux kernel since as far as I know Linus never released a
2.6.40 kernel version.

In order to be able to assist you we will need some additional
information.  What Linux distro are your running?  Do you have the
latest updates from them?  Also have you tried running the latest
out-of-tree driver we provide at e1000.sf.net in order to verify if the
same issue occurs with that driver?

Thanks,

Alex

On 11/21/2011 04:26 AM, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> i triggered this bug nultiple times by just pulling out the network
> cable while running v3.0.8.
>
> [  838.740689] igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
> Control: RX/TX
> [  838.761489] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
> [  848.654167] ------------[ cut here ]------------
> [  848.673476] WARNING: at net/sched/sch_generic.c:255
> dev_watchdog+0x25d/0x270()
> [  848.692857] Hardware name: X8DTN
> [  848.712062] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (igb): transmit queue 0 timed out
> [  848.731613] Modules linked in: xt_tcpudp iptable_filter ip_tables
> x_tables coretemp k8temp ipv6 dm_snapshot dm_mod
> [  848.752265] Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.40.8intel #3
> [  848.773156] Call Trace:
> [  848.793730]  <IRQ>  [<ffffffff8153be3d>] ? dev_watchdog+0x25d/0x270
> [  848.793740]  [<ffffffff81045eb0>] warn_slowpath_common+0x80/0xc0
> [  848.793744]  [<ffffffff81045fe9>] warn_slowpath_fmt+0x69/0x70
> [  848.793749]  [<ffffffff81012288>] ?
> intel_pmu_nhm_enable_all+0x158/0x190
> [  848.793755]  [<ffffffff81469917>] ? igb_poll+0x807/0xde0
> [  848.793758]  [<ffffffff810125e4>] ? x86_pmu_enable+0x1f4/0x270
> [  848.793763]  [<ffffffff810b1666>] ? perf_event_task_tick+0xa6/0x2e0
> [  848.793767]  [<ffffffff8153be3d>] dev_watchdog+0x25d/0x270
> [  848.793772]  [<ffffffff8105511c>] run_timer_softirq+0x1cc/0x320
> [  848.793776]  [<ffffffff8153bbe0>] ? __netdev_watchdog_up+0x80/0x80
> [  848.793782]  [<ffffffff8101d0d8>] ? lapic_next_event+0x18/0x20
> [  848.793787]  [<ffffffff8104c390>] __do_softirq+0xd0/0x1c0
> [  848.793793]  [<ffffffff815e288c>] call_softirq+0x1c/0x30
> [  848.793798]  [<ffffffff810047b5>] do_softirq+0x55/0x90
> [  848.793801]  [<ffffffff8104c16d>] irq_exit+0xad/0xe0
> [  848.793805]  [<ffffffff8101ddc9>] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x69/0xa0
> [  848.793809]  [<ffffffff815e2053>] apic_timer_interrupt+0x13/0x20
> [  848.793811]  <EOI>  [<ffffffff81317093>] ? intel_idle+0xb3/0x120
> [  848.793820]  [<ffffffff81317075>] ? intel_idle+0x95/0x120
> [  848.793824]  [<ffffffff814f7d5c>] cpuidle_idle_call+0xdc/0x1a0
> [  848.793829]  [<ffffffff81002091>] cpu_idle+0xb1/0x110
> [  848.793833]  [<ffffffff815c54dd>] rest_init+0x6d/0x80
> [  848.793837]  [<ffffffff81acbc5d>] start_kernel+0x3a2/0x44c
> [  848.793847]  [<ffffffff81acb295>] x86_64_start_reservations+0xa5/0xc9
> [  848.793851]  [<ffffffff81acb3a2>] x86_64_start_kernel+0xe9/0xfb
> [  848.793853] ---[ end trace 737c145f3289e2ce ]---
> [  848.794085] igb 0000:0a:00.0: eth0: Reset adapter
> [  849.019407] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> [  851.626949] igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
> Control: RX/TX
> [  861.637255] igb 0000:0a:00.0: eth0: Reset adapter
> [  864.479252] igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
> Control: RX/TX
>
> Greet Stefan