Subject: Re: Kernel v3.0.8 igb driver dies when pulling network cable

From: Stefan Priebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:07:42 +0100

> You are going to need to clarify some things since as far as I know we
> never released a v3.0.8 driver, and the kernel in the bug below is a
> version 2.6.40.8 which sounds more like a modified and possibly
> backported Linux kernel since as far as I know Linus never released a
> 2.6.40 kernel version.
Sorry that my description was so inaccurate. I'm talking about a vanilla 
v3.0.8 linux kernel. Just renamed to 2.6.40.8.

> In order to be able to assist you we will need some additional
> information.  What Linux distro are your running?  Do you have the
> latest updates from them?  Also have you tried running the latest
> out-of-tree driver we provide at e1000.sf.net in order to verify if the
> same issue occurs with that driver?
Linux Distri is Debian Lenny but we're running a self compiled vanilla 
3.0.X kernel. I haven't tried to use the up2date e1000.sf.net driver as 
3.0 is a long time supported kernel by greg - so all needed fixes should 
be backported or at least send to stable@ so that greg can have a look 
at them.

Thanks!

Stefan