Subject: Re: MPLS for Linux kernel

From: "Jorge Boncompte [DTI2]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 20:18:52 +0100

El 21/11/2011 19:29, David Miller escribió:
> From: "Jorge Boncompte [DTI2]" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:01:26 +0100
> 
>> 	mpls-linux it is not ready to go upstream in my opinion.
> 
> And can arguably be implemented in terms of openvswitch and packet scheduler actions.

	I guess so, I have not really looked much at the openvswitch code. The MPLS
code it is pretty self contained and in my opinion more tied to routing than to
switching (*). I don't think it should be necessary an userspace daemon, like it
seems necessary for openvswitch, just to bind a label to a route, the same way
that it is not necessary a daemon to support VLAN's currently. The label
signaling protocols are already complicated :)

	I work in this code, like a lot of people do, because I have a use for it. I
would really like to see it upstreamed but if it does not fit upstream plans, it
is not a problem, this code it is not that hard to maintain.

	In any case critics/reviews/patches are most than welcome.

(*) The code that you implemented for 2.6.1 and that James R. Leu used in this
codebase it is even more tied together to routing.