Subject: e1000e interface hang on 82574L

From: Chris Boot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:01:08 +0000

Hi folks,

Another networking issue I've run into, this time with e1000e (Intel 
Corporation 82574L Gigabit). My new VM cluster appears to drop a NIC - 
the port stops responding within Linux and shows the link as being down 
with ethtool. My ISP says 'Ports running Half Duplex or reduced speed' 
on the port.

When the port stops working I see this in dmesg:

[35481.659629] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[35481.667837] WARNING: at net/sched/sch_generic.c:255 
dev_watchdog+0xe9/0x148()
[35481.676370] Hardware name: X9SCL/X9SCM
[35481.684793] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth2 (e1000e): transmit queue 0 timed out
[35481.684795] Modules linked in: hmac sha256_generic dlm configfs 
ebtable_nat ebtables acpi_cpufreq mperf cpufreq_stats 
cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_userspace cpufreq_powersave microcode 
xt_NOTRACK ip_set_hash_net act_police cls_basic cls_flow cls_fw cls_u32 
sch_tbf sch_prio sch_htb sch_hfsc sch_ingress sch_sfq xt_connlimit 
xt_realm xt_addrtype ip_set_hash_ip iptable_raw xt_comment xt_recent 
ipt_ULOG ipt_REJECT ipt_REDIRECT ipt_NETMAP ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_ECN 
ipt_ecn ipt_CLUSTERIP ipt_ah nf_nat_tftp nf_nat_snmp_basic 
nf_conntrack_snmp nf_nat_sip nf_nat_pptp nf_nat_proto_gre nf_nat_irc 
nf_nat_h323 nf_nat_ftp ip6_queue nf_nat_amanda xt_set ip_set 
nf_conntrack_tftp nf_conntrack_sip nf_conntrack_sane 
nf_conntrack_proto_udplite nf_conntrack_proto_sctp nf_conntrack_pptp 
nf_conntrack_proto_gre nf_conntrack_netlink nf_conntrack_netbios_ns 
nf_conntrack_broadcast nf_conntrack_irc nf_conntrack_h323 
nf_conntrack_ftp ts_kmp nf_conntrack_amanda xt_TPROXY xt_NFLOG 
nfnetlink_log nf_tproxy_core xt_time xt_TCPMSS xt_tcpmss xt_sctp 
xt_policy xt_pkttype xt_physdev xt_owner xt_NFQUEUE xt_multiport xt_mark 
xt_mac xt_limit xt_length xt_iprange xt_helper xt_hashlimit xt_DSCP 
xt_dscp xt_dccp xt_connmark xt_CLASSIFY xt_AUDIT ip6t_LOG ip6t_REJECT 
nf_conntrack_ipv6 nf_defrag_ipv6 xt_conntrack ip6table_raw ipt_LOG 
xt_tcpudp ip6table_mangle xt_state iptable_nat nf_nat nf_conntrack_ipv4 
nf_defrag_ipv4 nf_conntrack iptable_mangle nfnetlink iptable_filter 
ip_tables ip6table_filter ip6_tables x_tables bridge stp bonding 
w83627ehf hwmon_vid coretemp sha1_ssse3 sha1_generic crc32c_intel 
aesni_intel cryptd aes_x86_64 aes_generic ipmi_poweroff ipmi_devintf 
ipmi_si ipmi_msghandler vhost_net macvtap macvlan tun drbd lru_cache cn 
loop kvm_intel kvm snd_pcm snd_timer snd iTCO_wdt soundcore psmouse 
snd_page_alloc i2c_i801 i2c_core cdc_acm iTCO_vendor_support joydev 
evdev serio_raw processor button pcspkr thermal_sys ext4 mbcache jbd2 
crc16 dm_mod raid1 md_mod sd_mod crc_t10dif usb_storage uas usbhid hid 
ahci libahci libata igb ehci_hcd scsi_mod usbcore e1000e dca usb_common 
[last unloaded: scsi_wait_scan]
[35481.685740] Pid: 0, comm: swapper/4 Not tainted 3.2.0-rc6+ #4
[35481.685744] Call Trace:
[35481.685746]  <IRQ>  [<ffffffff810467ed>] ? warn_slowpath_common+0x78/0x8c
[35481.685849]  [<ffffffff81046899>] ? warn_slowpath_fmt+0x45/0x4a
[35481.685875]  [<ffffffff810aeaa0>] ? perf_event_task_tick+0x166/0x1ab
[35481.686018]  [<ffffffff81294219>] ? netif_tx_lock+0x40/0x72
[35481.686090]  [<ffffffff8129437a>] ? dev_watchdog+0xe9/0x148
[35481.686136]  [<ffffffff81051e58>] ? run_timer_softirq+0x19a/0x261
[35481.686176]  [<ffffffff81294291>] ? netif_tx_unlock+0x46/0x46
[35481.686215]  [<ffffffff810659bb>] ? timekeeping_get_ns+0xd/0x2a
[35481.686286]  [<ffffffff8104bdd4>] ? __do_softirq+0xb9/0x177
[35481.686365]  [<ffffffff81341d6c>] ? call_softirq+0x1c/0x30
[35481.686530]  [<ffffffff8100f841>] ? do_softirq+0x3c/0x7b
[35481.686580]  [<ffffffff8104c03c>] ? irq_exit+0x3c/0x9a
[35481.686742]  [<ffffffff81023e58>] ? smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x74/0x82
[35481.686820]  [<ffffffff813405de>] ? apic_timer_interrupt+0x6e/0x80
[35481.686826]  <EOI>  [<ffffffff811ddf49>] ? intel_idle+0xea/0x119
[35481.686991]  [<ffffffff811ddf28>] ? intel_idle+0xc9/0x119
[35481.687051]  [<ffffffff8125dce3>] ? cpuidle_idle_call+0xec/0x179
[35481.687089]  [<ffffffff8100d255>] ? cpu_idle+0xa1/0xe8
[35481.687143]  [<ffffffff810706ee>] ? arch_local_irq_restore+0x2/0x8
[35481.687189]  [<ffffffff8132d191>] ? start_secondary+0x1d5/0x1db
[35481.687234] ---[ end trace 01e9907674757948 ]---
[35481.687817] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: eth2: Reset adapter

To try to regain connectivity I bring down the bond and the interface 
(eth2), then unload e1000e. Upon loading the module again:

[36021.888962] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 1.5.1-k
[36021.900258] e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2011 Intel Corporation.
[36021.911446] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> 
IRQ 20
[36021.923204] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: setting latency timer to 64
[36021.923372] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: irq 45 for MSI/MSI-X
[36022.202737] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth2: (PCI Express:2.5GT/s:Width x1) 
00:25:90:56:ac:75
[36022.214480] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth3: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network 
Connection
[36022.227506] e1000e 0000:00:19.0: eth3: MAC: 10, PHY: 11, PBA No: 
FFFFFF-0FF
[36022.239789] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: Disabling ASPM L0s
[36022.239805] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[36022.239829] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> 
IRQ 16
[36022.239921] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
[36022.240963] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: irq 64 for MSI/MSI-X
[36022.240995] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: irq 65 for MSI/MSI-X
[36022.241028] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: irq 66 for MSI/MSI-X
[36022.241596] e1000e 0000:05:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
[36022.241606] e1000e: probe of 0000:05:00.0 failed with error -2
[36022.304706] udevd[3634]: renamed network interface eth2 to eth3

I then don't get an eth2 interface. Only a reboot brings the interface 
back. This has happened twice so far on this server in the past week, 
both times using v3.2-rc7-3-g4962516.

lspci -vnn shows:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit 
Network Connection [8086:10d3]
         Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device [15d9:0000]
         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
         Memory at fbd00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
         I/O ports at e000 [size=32]
         Memory at fbd20000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
         Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
         Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
         Capabilities: [a0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=5 Masked-
         Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
         Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-25-90-ff-ff-56-ac-74
         Kernel driver in use: e1000e

Thanks,
Chris

-- 
Chris Boot
[email-masked]