Subject: Re: [PATCH] drivers: misc: Remove MISC_DEVICES config option

From: Larry Finger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 17:42:54 -0600

On 01/05/2012 05:45 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 12:49 PM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
>> MISC_DEVICES option alone does not select any kernel code and can cause dependency build warnings, such as:
>>
>> warning: (KS8851&&  AX88796_93CX6&&  RTL8180&&  RTL8187&&  ADM8211&&  RT2400PCI&&  RT2500PCI&&  RT61PCI&&  RT2800PCI&&  R8187SE) selects EEPROM_93CX6 which has unmet direct dependencies (MISC_DEVICES)
>>
>> Remove MISC_DEVICES option so that any dependency on this symbol is avoided.
>
> I thought that one purpose of MISC_DEVICES was to allow anyone to disable all
> options under it with one click (or keystroke), but since several drivers now
> "select MISC_DEVICES", that does not work.
>
> I would like to be able to disable all MISC_DEVICES, but since that
> does not currently function, this change is OK with me.

All of the drivers in the above list select *only* one driver in the 
MISC_DEVICES category. If that one were moved outside of MISC_DEVICES, most, if 
not all,problems would go away.

Larry