Subject: Re: [PATCH] stmmac: fix driver features

From: Giuseppe CAVALLARO <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:08:54 +0100

Hello David

On 2/9/2012 9:35 PM, David Miller wrote:
> This is not the purpose of the fix_features method, it's meant to
> ensure that the settings are valid.
> 
> It's not meant to "catch up" with settings you store in the internal
> datastructures of your driver.
> 
> You need to do this at probe time, where the initial ->hw_features
> and ->features values are set.

Initially the driver HW features are indeed set in the probe but in the
stmmac_open function, after looking at the HW cap reg, some parameters,
for example the HW csum, can be overridden and the
netdev_update_features is called. IIUC the netdev_update_features calls
the driver's ndo_fix_features. For this reason I improved the
stmmac_fix_feature function to cover more setting. Anyway, if I cannot
use this function I should move from the open to the probe the logic to
manage the MAC identification and HW cap register. What do you suggest?

Many thanks for you review
Regards
Peppe