Subject: Re: [patch net-next] cxgb3: update firmware version

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:02:26 -0800

On 02/14/2012 10:21 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:17:27AM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
>> What does an end-user/customer see and do?  When they are told that
>> version the firmware, specified down to the fix level, fixes a
>> problem they are having, how will they know that firmware blob
>> filename drvfw-X.bin on a download/archive site has that fix?
> [...]
>
> Customers currently can't get bug fixes by updating the firmware.
> Think about it.

Because in this case at least the driver is requesting a specific 
filename down to the minor and micro level and a change in the filename 
requires a change in the driver?

#define FW_VERSION __stringify(FW_VERSION_MAJOR) "."                    \
         __stringify(FW_VERSION_MINOR) "." __stringify(FW_VERSION_MICRO)
#define FW_FNAME "cxgb3/t3fw-" FW_VERSION ".bin"

rather than the driver having logic to make it willing to accept later 
minor/micro changes by being more sophisticated in its specification of 
firmware file.