Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/10] af_unix: add multicast and filtering features to AF_UNIX

From: Javier Martinez Canillas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 12:57:18 +0100

On 02/28/2012 08:05 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Rodrigo Moya <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:47:39 +0100
> 
>> Because of all of this, UDP/IP multicast wasn't even considered as an
>> option. We might be wrong in some/all of those, so could you please
>> comment on them to check if that's so?
> 
> You guys seem to want something that isn't AF_UNIX, ordering guarentees
> and whatnot, it really has no place in these protocols.
> 
> You've designed a userlevel subsystem with requirements that no existing
> socket layer can give, and you just figured you'd work that out later.
> 
> I think you rather should have reconsidered these premises and designed
> something that could handle reality which is AF_UNIX can't do multicast
> and nobody guarentees those strange ordering requirements you seem to
> have.

Yes, you are right it doesn't follow AF_UNIX semantics so Unix sockets
is not the best place to add our multicast implementation.

So, now we are trying a different approach. To create a new address
family AF_MCAST. That way we can have more control over the semantics of
the socket interface for that family.

We expect to have some patches in a few days and we will resend.

Does this makes more sense to you?

Best regards,
Javier