Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH v0 1/5] net: add generic PF_BRIDGE:RTM_ FDB hooks

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:53:17 -0700

On 3/20/2012 5:33 PM, John Fastabend wrote:
> On 3/20/2012 3:50 PM, Roopa Prabhu wrote:
>>
>>> On 3/18/12 11:51 PM, "John Fastabend" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> This adds two new flags NTF_MASTER and NTF_LOWERDEV that can
>>>> now be used to specify where PF_BRIDGE netlink commands should
>>>> be sent. NTF_MASTER sends the commands to the 'dev->master'
>>>> device for parsing. Typically this will be the linux net/bridge,
>>>> macvlan, or open-vswitch devices. Also without any flags set
>>>> the command will be handled by the master device as well so
>>>> that current user space tools continue to work as expected.
>>
> [...]
> 
>>  
>> Sorry John for getting back on this very late.
>> Am trying to see how this will work for macvlan.
>>  
>>  Am wondering if the below is how you think might work,
>>  - macvlan implements ndo_fdb_add, del, dump
>>  - macvlan_fdb_add {
>>       if (macvlan passthrough mode) {
>>          if (lowerdev->ndo_fdb_add) {
>>              lowerdev->ndo_fdb_add(addr) with NTF_LOWERDEV
>>          }
>>          else {
>>              /* This is because, we don't want all devices to have to
>>                 implement ndo_fdb_add. Eg Devices without an embedded bridge
>>                 */.
>>              dev_uc_add_excl(lowerdev, addr)
>>          }
>>    }
>>  
>>  Let me see if I can write a sample patch.
>>  
> 
> Yes this is what I expect. I'll post the sample patch I've been
> working with here in just a second. The tricky part is dealing
> with the promisc mode. In your previous series you just removed
> doesn't seem correct to me because we already have a precedent
> set i.e. macvlan passthru comes up in promisc mode and doesn't
> require any filters.
> 
> .John

ah dang that msg won't hit netdev because I stupidly named the
patch with three Xs.

but to follow up yes NTF_SELF seems like a better name. I'll
change it when I submit again after net-next opens up and
I also posted my RFC for macvlan feel free to use that as a
starting point if it works for you.

Thanks,
.John