Subject: Re: [PATCH v10] tilegx network driver: initial support

From: Chris Metcalf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:44:02 -0400

On 6/7/2012 4:39 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Chris Metcalf <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:42:03 -0400
>
>> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:42:03 -0400
> You did not commit this file on April 6th.
>
> Please don't use the date emitted by the GIT tools, just
> let the email use the natural correct date which is the
> one at the time you send the email out.
>
> Otherwise your patch gets misordered as automated tools like
> patchwork think this file should go all the way at the back
> of the patch queue because of it's old date relative to
> other pending patches.

Yes, when I use "git rebase" to merge changes into the earlier patch, this
is the behavior I see.  I don't know if there's some way to tell git to
take the date on the later change instead when I "squash" them.  Or if,
perhaps, there is some other workflow I should be using.  It does seem like
the git history should reflect the latest time.

The issue of the date on the email is separate.  I tend to use "git
format-patch" to start with, munge up the headers to jam in some
"In-Reply-To" and "References" lines, manually update the "Date:", then
feed it to "sendmail -t".  Perhaps there's a different workflow I should be
using there, too.  (I tried deleting the "Date", but the one time I tried
that I ended up with some surprisingly bogus date in the email that hit
LKML, so I've been avoiding that approach.)

I'll resend the patch without a Date: line and see how it ends up this time.

-- 
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com