Subject: [RFC] micrel KSZ8041 disable auto negotiation with fiber

From: Aníbal Almeida Pinto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:45:59 +0100

Hi,

I am working on a custom board based on a OMAP L138 with a KSZ8041TL-FTL 
phy that have fibber and copper support.

When using with fibber the board can't connect to a switch, only after 
exec :

	ethtool -s eth1 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

the phy get link and start working.

On some switches it appears that autoneg don't work well with fibber, 
ethtool reports that its at 10MB/s after exec

	ethtool -s eth1 autoneg on

The auto negotiation bit on phy register is disable on start when using 
the fibber but Linux don't appear to look at it.

Found a thread [1] that solve the problem but don't appear to be fully 
accepted.

The problem is modifying the phy code without interfere with ethtool use.

Any official/accepted solution to this problem ?

Thanks.

[1] - http://marc.info/?l=linuxppc-embedded&m=131107263711714

Aníbal