Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 07/14] Fix intel/ixgbe

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:30:48 -0700

On 6/20/2012 1:55 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 08:54 -0700, Alexander Duyck wrote:
>
>> This patch doesn't limit the number of queues.  It is limiting the
>> number of interrupts.  The two are not directly related as we can
>> support multiple queues per interrupt.
>>
>> Also this change assumes we are only using receive side scaling.  We
>> have other features such as DCB, FCoE, and Flow Director which require
>> additional queues.
>>
>
> Yet, it would be good if ixgbe doesnt allocate 36 queues on a 4 cpu
> machine.
>
> "tc -s class show dev eth0" output is full of not used classes.
>
>
>

We do this for the DCB/FCoE/RSS/Flow Director case where we want to
use multiple queues per traffic class (802.1Qaz). As it is now we
have to set the max queues at alloc_etherdev_mq() time so we use a
max of
	(num_cpu * max traffic classes) + num_cpu

The last num_cpu is in error and I have a patch in JeffK's tree to
remove this. In many cases it seems excessive but sometimes it is
helpful.

.John