Subject: Re: New commands to configure IOV features

From: Chris Friesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:27:03 -0600

On 07/17/2012 03:11 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Chris Friesen<[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:08:45 -0600
>
>>  From that perspective a sysfs-based interface is ideal since it is
>> directly scriptable.
>
> As is anything ethtool or netlink based, since we have 'ethtool'
> and 'ip' for scripting.

I'm not picky...whatever works.

To me the act of creating virtual functions seems generic enough (I'm 
aware of SR-IOV capable storage controllers, I'm sure there is other 
hardware as well) that ethtool/ip don't really seem like the most 
appropriate tools for the job.

I would have thought it would make more sense as a generic PCI 
functionality, in which case I'm not aware of an existing binary tool 
that would be a logical choice to extend.

Chris