Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] ipv4: Change rt->rt_iif encoding.

From: Nicolas de Pesloüan<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:25:26 +0200

Le 25/07/2012 00:18, David Miller a écrit :
> From: Nicolas de Pesloüan<[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 00:13:55 +0200
>
>> - From the af_packet point of view, is was "the real original device
>> - that received the packet".
>>
>> As bonding don't use orig_dev anymore, the remaining meaning should
>> logically be "the real original device that received the packet". But
>> as __netif_receive_skb() is recursively called in many cases, setting
>> orig_dev to something new every time, this meaning is probably mostly
>> inconsistent. As such, it sounds appropriate to remove orig_dev and
>> use skb_iif instead.
>
> I don't think we can, otherwise people who set po->origdev will no
> longer get what they expect.
>
> For the simpler cases of bonding and VLANs, it does currently behaved
> as expected.
>
> That's why I left it alone.

Do they get what they expect when stacking interfaces?

__netif_receive_skb starts with orig_dev = skb->dev. So when calling __netif_receive_skb 
recursively, after changing skb->dev, they get the packet several times, with a different orig_dev 
value?

Any way, both looks good to me.

	Nicolas.