Subject: Unusual page allocation failure (network softirq related)

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:24:11 +0100

Hi

Just for information, my home server produced the following allocation
failure this morning. First time I've seen it on this box. All seems
fine though, so no symptoms.

config & dmesg attached.

Cheers
David

Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069788] swapper/0: page
allocation failure: order:0, mode:0x120
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069794] Pid: 0, comm: swapper/0
Tainted: G           O 3.5.2 #2
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069796] Call Trace:
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069798]  <IRQ> 
[<ffffffff810e15f1>] warn_alloc_failed+0xf1/0x140
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069809]  [<ffffffff814c82b0>] ?
ip_rcv+0x2c0/0x2c0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069813]  [<ffffffff810e28a1>]
__alloc_pages_nodemask+0x591/0x840
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069817]  [<ffffffff814e7e25>] ?
tcp4_gro_receive+0x55/0xc0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069821]  [<ffffffff8148ca1d>]
netdev_alloc_frag+0xbd/0xf0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069823]  [<ffffffff8148cad0>]
__netdev_alloc_skb+0x80/0xc0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069842]  [<ffffffffa01a9c7d>]
rtl8169_poll+0x3fd/0x670 [r8169]
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069845]  [<ffffffff81496d3f>]
net_rx_action+0xef/0x230
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069849]  [<ffffffff8103997f>]
__do_softirq+0xaf/0x1e0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069854]  [<ffffffff815b4c0c>]
call_softirq+0x1c/0x30
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069858]  [<ffffffff81003fad>]
do_softirq+0x4d/0x80
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069860]  [<ffffffff810397a5>]
irq_exit+0xb5/0xd0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069863]  [<ffffffff81003911>]
do_IRQ+0x61/0xe0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069867]  [<ffffffff815ac4a7>]
common_interrupt+0x67/0x67
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069868]  <EOI> 
[<ffffffff8100aa75>] ? default_idle+0x55/0x190
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069875]  [<ffffffff8100ac33>]
amd_e400_idle+0x83/0x100
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069877]  [<ffffffff8100a1e6>]
cpu_idle+0x86/0xd0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069881]  [<ffffffff81595338>]
rest_init+0x68/0x70
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069885]  [<ffffffff81ab2cc3>]
start_kernel+0x344/0x351
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069888]  [<ffffffff81ab279f>] ?
kernel_init+0x1ca/0x1ca
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069891]  [<ffffffff81ab232d>]
x86_64_start_reservations+0x131/0x136
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069894]  [<ffffffff81ab241f>]
x86_64_start_kernel+0xed/0xf4
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069895] Mem-Info:
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069897] DMA per-cpu:
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069899] CPU    0: hi:    0,
btch:   1 usd:   0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069900] CPU    1: hi:    0,
btch:   1 usd:   0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069902] DMA32 per-cpu:
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069903] CPU    0: hi:  186,
btch:  31 usd: 175
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069905] CPU    1: hi:  186,
btch:  31 usd:  31
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069909] active_anon:50844
inactive_anon:54976 isolated_anon:0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069909]  active_file:57409
inactive_file:235120 isolated_file:0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069909]  unevictable:0
dirty:74711 writeback:8193 unstable:0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069909]  free:2248
slab_reclaimable:16276 slab_unreclaimable:7333
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069909]  mapped:10831 shmem:8286
pagetables:3710 bounce:0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069917] DMA free:7004kB min:44kB
low:52kB high:64kB active_anon:0kB inactive_anon:44kB active_file:36kB
inactive_file:2216kB unevictable:0kB isolated(anon):0kB
isolated(file):0kB present:15632kB mlocked:0kB dirty:248kB writeback:0kB
mapped:4kB shmem:4kB slab_reclaimable:6528kB slab_unreclaimable:16kB
kernel_stack:8kB pagetables:0kB unstable:0kB bounce:0kB
writeback_tmp:0kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069919] lowmem_reserve[]: 0 1747
1747 1747
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069926] DMA32 free:1988kB
min:5324kB low:6652kB high:7984kB active_anon:203376kB
inactive_anon:219860kB active_file:229600kB inactive_file:938264kB
unevictable:0kB isolated(anon):0kB isolated(file):0kB present:1789764kB
mlocked:0kB dirty:298596kB writeback:32772kB mapped:43320kB
shmem:33140kB slab_reclaimable:58576kB slab_unreclaimable:29316kB
kernel_stack:3240kB pagetables:14840kB unstable:0kB bounce:0kB
writeback_tmp:0kB pages_scanned:0 all_unreclaimable? no
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069928] lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0 0
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069931] DMA: 8*4kB 6*8kB 9*16kB
10*32kB 7*64kB 9*128kB 5*256kB 3*512kB 0*1024kB 1*2048kB 0*4096kB = 7008kB
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069938] DMA32: 14*4kB 11*8kB
10*16kB 11*32kB 2*64kB 1*128kB 0*256kB 2*512kB 0*1024kB 0*2048kB
0*4096kB = 1936kB
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069944] 312175 total pagecache pages
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069946] 11352 pages in swap cache
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069947] Swap cache stats: add
92803, delete 81451, find 4745898/4749655
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069949] Free swap  = 3652688kB
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.069950] Total swap = 3903676kB
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.077625] 458624 pages RAM
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.077626] 10730 pages reserved
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.077627] 241182 pages shared
Aug 22 08:52:29 server kernel: [302505.077628] 233322 pages non-shared