Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/8] bridge: bridge port parameters over netlink

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:33:29 -0700

[...]

>> here I added nested bridge attributes to IFLA_AF_SPEC and pass them down
>> to the drivers as needed. Should we merge these two sets so that we have
>> only a single nested set of bridge attributes? Either in IFLA_AF_SPEC or
>> IFLA_PROTINFO.
>>

[...]

>
> This is an area where there is no clear choice.
> I would like to keep AF_UNSPEC for non-protocol stuff,
> that is why I targeted PF_BRIDGE:IFLA_PROTINFO.
>

Works for me.

> Other alternative would be to add sysctl which is less message
> based, but is more general. (ie. /default and /all are available).
>

I would just assume use netlink seeing this is common for all the other
networking bits and any networking app is already likely to be handling
these events.

.John