Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/9] net: xfrm: use this_cpu_ptr per-cpu helper

From: Shan Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 16:56:54 +0800

Christoph Lameter said, at 2012/11/1 1:35:
> It would be better to use
> 
> 	this_cpu_read(tfms)
> 
> since that would also make it atomic vs interrupts. The above code (both
> original and modified) could determine a pointer to a per cpu structure
> and then take an interrupt which would move the task. On return we would
> be accessing the per cpu variable of another processor.

this_cpu_read
|-----_this_cpu_generic_read

#define _this_cpu_generic_read(pcp)                                     \
({      typeof(pcp) ret__;                                              \
        preempt_disable();                                              \
        ret__ = *this_cpu_ptr(&(pcp));                                  \
        preempt_enable();                                               \
        ret__;                                                          \
})

this_cpu_read operations locate per-cpu variable with preemption safe， not
disable interrupts. why is it atomic vs interrupts?

I have no idea whether we need to disable preemption for this code?
At least, xfrm code run well with per_cpu_ptr which don't disable preemption.