Subject: Re: Question about Mellanox FW reporting (incorrect) port types

From: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 18:37:34 -0200

Em 17-10-2012 16:49, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner escreveu:
> On 10/17/2012 04:22 PM, Or Gerlitz wrote:
>> Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...] So my questions are: is it possible to the firmware report a
>>> wrong port type like
>>> that? Is it somehow configurable by sysadmin (via fw update, ..), can
>>> we flip that byte
>>> or is it a manufacturing issue?

For completeness,

As it happens the customer had the HP Infinband Enablement Kit 
(614841-B21) installed at jumper location 53 (J53) of the motherboard, 
which makes the QSFP port of the S390s' NC543i interface an Infiniband 
interface rather than a 10gbE interface. Removing this allowed the port 
to be brought-up as 10GbE just fine.

Interesting that it worked as 10GbE even with InifiniBand Enablement Kit 
on it, so the port was just advertised, but not forced, as InfiniBand. 
Or something like that.

Thanks,
Marcelo.