Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] 8021q: validate SAN MAC address

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 17:58:16 -0800

On 11/13/2012 5:50 PM, Michael Chan wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 20:24 -0500, David Miller wrote:
>> From: "Michael Chan" <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:40:29 -0800
>>
>>> I suppose we can just put the SAN MAC into the real netdev->dev_addr so
>>> that the VLAN will automatically get it.  But this doesn't seem very
>>> nice as we would be pretending to have a normal MAC address (for
>>> networking) in this SAN device.  The networking MAC address is in a
>>> different PCI function.
>>
>> I certainly would prefer if you took that approach.  At least in that
>> way the addressing of the netdev objects would appear more consistent.
>>
> Ok.  To be more complete, I think we need to add a flag or something to
> such a netdev to indicate that it is a SAN device only.  What's your
> opinion on that?

Michael, how do you determine a L2 packet is a SAN type? Do you have
ACLs in the FW/hardware to prevent other types of L2 traffic from being
sent? I guess I'm asking what makes it a SAN only device.

.John