Subject: Re: IPv6 over Firewire

From: Stephan Gatzka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:25:05 +0100

> Please, please do not alter bits in your driver, to maintain
> extensibility of protocols.
>
> I am definitely okay to have firewire supporting stuff in
> net/ipv6/ndisc.c.  Since we already have notification
> mechanism, I don't think it will be large.
>
O.k., let's try it your way.

I believe the the changes in the transmit portions for ndisc are rather 
simple. All firewire specific information is stored in the private data 
of struct net_device. For the receive section I think I have to change 
something in ndisc_recv_ns(), I'll figure that out. Maybe I need some 
(small) support from you, but I think we can do that off list.

I'll try it out but after Christmas. :)

But I have to emphasize that I really need (read) access to the firewire 
specific portions of the link layer option in the firewire net driver. 
That _is_ necessary to build the relation between the firewire hardware 
address (GUID) and the corresponding firewire node.

Because you mentioned IPSEC: Are the ndisc packets also encrypted? If 
so, I just can't imagine how I can do the mapping of firewire hardware 
addresses and firewire nodes.

@Stefan: Are you o.k. if I go that way?

Regards,

Stephan