Subject: Re: IPsec AH use of ahash

From: Chris Friesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:49:19 -0600

On 01/21/2013 09:31 AM, Tom St Denis wrote:
> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Steven Rostedt"<[email-masked]> To: "Tom St
>> Denis"<[email-masked]> Cc: "David
>> Dillow"<[email-masked]>, "Borislav Petkov"<[email-masked]>,
>> [email-masked], [email-masked] Sent: Monday,
>> 21 January, 2013 10:28:33 AM Subject: Re: IPsec AH use of ahash
>>
>> When I send a patch to another maintainer, and they tell me to fix
>> the way I did the comments, I don't complain. I fix the comments
>> and resend.
>
> Which is less of a problem when there is a timeliness factor.  In the
> business world people move on and don't work at that pace.

There can be an impedance mismatch between the "get it done to hit a 
deadline" business world and the "get it right no matter how long it 
takes" world of some open-source projects.

However, many businesses have recognized that they get far more benefit 
from dealing with open-source than it costs them in designer time.

 From the point of view of my employer (I work in telecom) the choices 
are either:

a) work with the kernel to get the code submitted into mainline
b) keep the changes private and port them every time we upgrade

Over a decade or more my management has come to realize that option "a" 
is generally better in the long term, even if it's a bit more effort in 
the short term.

There are exceptions of course, and sometimes we just need to do a 
quick-and-dirty solution to get something out the door.

Chris