Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 6/6] ARM: davinci: da850: configure system configuration chip(CFGCHIP3) for emac

From: Sekhar Nori <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 10:58:46 +0530

On 2/3/2013 6:15 PM, Sekhar Nori wrote:
> On 1/28/2013 7:17 PM, Prabhakar Lad wrote:
>> From: Lad, Prabhakar <[email-masked]>

> There are couple of issues with this implementation.
> 
> 1) da8xx_config_emac() is specific to DA850 EVM, but masquerades as
>    generic for da8xx. Looks like you need two functions, one for soc
>    specific configuration and one board specific.
> 2) da8xx_config_emac() goes through all the time, whether the
>    particular board has emac module or not. Shouldn't
>    da8xx_config_emac() check if emac is actually enabled in the passed
>    dtb and only the do the configuration?
> 3) The function assumes mii is used always, you can use the rmii_en dt
>    property to check if rmii/mii is enabled and configure the soc/board
>    accordingly.
> 4) If the same function can work both for da850 and da830, then it can
>    be implemented outside of CONFIG_ARCH_DAVINCI_DA850.

Another thing I forgot to mention:

5) This patch replicates a lot of code form board-da850-evm.c. This
needs to be avoided. May be create function to configure emac in
da850.c. This can then be called in board-da850-evm.c as well as in the
dt case.

Thanks,
Sekhar