Subject: Re: [RFC/RFT 00/27] Updates for the rtlwifi family of drivers

From: Larry Finger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:04:42 -0600

On 02/25/2013 08:22 PM, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-25 at 18:13 -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
>> This set of patches upgrades drivers rtlwifi, rtl8192c, rtl8192ce, rtl8192se,
>> and rtl8723ae to the state of the vendor driver issued on 2013.02.07. In
>> addition, a new driver for the RTL8188EE chip is added to the kernel.
>>
>> Note: These patches do not upgrade rtl8192de. Those changes will be sent
>> later.
>
> rtl8188e isn't very kernel stylish.
> Looking at it briefly, in fact it's kind of ugly.
>
> Could/should it go into staging?

It is uglier than I had hoped. I was not quite ready to push it yet, but I got 
some pressure from outside, non-Realtek, sources that a kernel version was 
needed. They will, in fact, start their integration from the RFC/RFT version.

The main problem with having it in staging is that we will either have to 
include headers from drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/, or duplicate them in the 
drivers/staging/rtl8188ee/ directory where keeping them compatible will be a 
hassle. Neither solution sounds optimum to me.

Larry