Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] doc: packet: add minimal TPACKET_V3 example code

From: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:50:02 +0100

On 03/29/2013 04:42 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-03-29 at 16:36 +0100, Daniel Borkmann wrote:
>> Lost in space for a long time, but it finally came back to us from
>> some ancient code tombs. This patch adds a minimal runnable example
>> of Linux' packet mmap(2) from Chetan Loke's TPACKET_V3. Special
>> thanks to David S. Miller, and also Eric Leblond and Victor Julien!
>>
>> Cc: Eric Leblond <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Victor Julien <[email-masked]>
>> Signed-off-by: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>>   Documentation/networking/packet_mmap.txt | 327 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>   1 file changed, 327 insertions(+)
>
> tools/testing/selftests/net  seems a better place to get another
> program ?

Hm, well. Actually, it should serve as nothing more than a code example
that does nothing useful except shows how to use it. Just like the packet
fanout example in the same file. It should just provide a starting point
for people to grab it and build something bigger out of it.

In a follow-up patch I could add a test case, /specificly designed/ to
do basic sanity checks. I think if people are looking for that, they
might not be starting under tools/testing/selftests/net, no?