Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/6] mac802154: Immediately retry sending failed packets

From: Alan Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 18:35:32 -0400

On 04/02/2013 05:28 PM, Alan Ott wrote:

> According to 7.5.6.5 of IEEE 802.15.4-2003, if the retransmission fails
> more than aMaxFrameRetries (3) times, it is assumed that it has failed.
> Since some transceivers (and I would assume most if not all) do this in
> hardware, it's now my opinion that we should _not_ try to retransmit at
> all in mac802154/tx.c.
> 
> For a driver for a device which _doesn't_ do retransmission in hardware,
> maybe it should be handled by that driver then.

It's worth noting that the mrf24j40, the at86rf230, and the cc2420
support retransmission in hardware (the first two are the only two in
mainline).

Alan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minimize network downtime and maximize team effectiveness.
Reduce network management and security costs.Learn how to hire 
the most talented Cisco Certified professionals. Visit the 
Employer Resources Portal
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/employer_resources/index.html