Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 3/3] net/mlx4_en: Enable open-lldp DCB support

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 00:52:38 -0700

On 04/05/2013 12:15 AM, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> John Fastabend <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Agree it doesn't work without this patch but we can fix it in user
>> space. This has the nice benefit of letting lldpad work with mlx4 on
>> older kernels. In general I think its easier to update user space then
>> the kernel for most users. I'll send you a lldpad patch in a few moments.
>
> So to be sure we're on the same page, what we should do is enhance
> mlx4_en_dcbnl_getdcbx() routine to also return DCB_CAP_DCBX_HOST and

Right I think this is a better approach in the long run.

> work with your user space patch? sounds nice, except for what happens
> if people run with older versions of lldpad..
>

Well it won't work. But on the flip side all your older drivers _will_
work with the new daemon. My working assumption is for most users its
easier to upgrade a user space pkg than a kernel. And the simpler we
can keep the kernel code the better. Oh and also if there is a bug in
user space we shouldn't fix it with kernel code.

> Or.

-- 
John Fastabend         Intel Corporation