Subject: AMD Vi error and lost networking with r8169

From: David R <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:29:09 +0100

I'm been seeing some problems with my new ish AMD motherboard/processor
combo and networking (r8169). I see the following page fault :-

Apr  7 12:25:14 david kernel: [156421.436545] AMD-Vi: Event logged
[IO_PAGE_FAULT device=02:00.0 domain=0x0015 address=0x0000000000003000
flags=0x0050]

Followed by the transmit queue timing out. This seems to hit randomly,
sometimes it can take a day or so. A hard reset is the only way to
recover networking.

(Userspace is Ubuntu 10.04, kernel 3.9.0 rc5+)

Cheers
David

Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568257] ------------[ cut here
]------------
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568273] WARNING: at
net/sched/sch_generic.c:255 dev_watchdog+0x250/0x260()
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568278] Hardware name: To be
filled by O.E.M.
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568282] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth2
(r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568285] Modules linked in: xfs
exportfs libcrc32c nls_iso8859_1 nls_cp437 vfat fat ecryptfs
encrypted_keys nfsv3 nfs_acl nfs lockd sunrpc binfmt_misc ppdev dm_crypt
hid_logitech uvcvideo ff_memless videobuf2_core videodev snd_usb_audio
videobuf2_vmalloc snd_usbmidi_lib videobuf2_memops usbhid
snd_hda_codec_hdmi snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_dummy snd_hwdep snd_seq_oss fbcon ttm tileblit font bitblit
snd_pcm_oss softcursor snd_seq_midi drm_kms_helper snd_rawmidi
snd_mixer_oss drm snd_seq_midi_event crc32_pclmul serio_raw snd_pcm
snd_seq i2c_piix4 r8169 snd_timer snd_seq_device mii snd i2c_algo_bit
soundcore snd_page_alloc lp parport
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568348] Pid: 0, comm: swapper/0
Not tainted 3.9.0-rc5+ #17
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568351] Call Trace:
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568354]  <IRQ> 
[<ffffffff81039c2a>] warn_slowpath_common+0x7a/0xc0
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568366]  [<ffffffff81039d11>]
warn_slowpath_fmt+0x41/0x50
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568374]  [<ffffffff81544630>]
dev_watchdog+0x250/0x260
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568380]  [<ffffffff815443e0>] ?
__netdev_watchdog_up+0x80/0x80
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568386]  [<ffffffff810497a4>]
call_timer_fn+0x44/0x120
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568391]  [<ffffffff815443e0>] ?
__netdev_watchdog_up+0x80/0x80
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568396]  [<ffffffff81049d83>]
run_timer_softirq+0x213/0x280
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568402]  [<ffffffff81041dbf>]
__do_softirq+0xdf/0x260
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568408]  [<ffffffff81042025>]
irq_exit+0xb5/0xc0
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568413]  [<ffffffff81023fc9>]
smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x69/0xa0
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568418]  [<ffffffff81638e8a>]
apic_timer_interrupt+0x6a/0x70
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568420]  <EOI> 
[<ffffffff8106e9a5>] ? sched_clock_cpu+0xc5/0x100
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568432]  [<ffffffff814e5542>] ?
cpuidle_wrap_enter+0x42/0x80
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568437]  [<ffffffff814e553e>] ?
cpuidle_wrap_enter+0x3e/0x80
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568443]  [<ffffffff814e5590>]
cpuidle_enter_tk+0x10/0x20
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568448]  [<ffffffff814e4fc2>]
cpuidle_enter_state+0x12/0x50
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568453]  [<ffffffff814e57d2>]
cpuidle_idle_call+0xa2/0x100
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568459]  [<ffffffff8100a3b7>]
cpu_idle+0xc7/0x120
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568463]  [<ffffffff8161fddd>]
rest_init+0x6d/0x80
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568470]  [<ffffffff81cc7fe3>]
start_kernel+0x3b6/0x3c3
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568475]  [<ffffffff81cc7a4d>] ?
repair_env_string+0x5b/0x5b
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568481]  [<ffffffff81cc75a1>]
x86_64_start_reservations+0x2a/0x2c
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568486]  [<ffffffff81cc76cc>]
x86_64_start_kernel+0x129/0x130
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.568489] ---[ end trace
31688db2ca49b077 ]---
Apr  7 12:26:09 david kernel: [156475.720834] r8169 0000:02:00.0 eth2:
link up