Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] sh_eth: add R-Car support for real

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 17:45:14 +0400

Hello.

On 08-04-2013 13:04, Simon Horman wrote:

>>> Commit d0418bb7123f44b23d69ac349eec7daf9103472f (net: sh_eth: Add eth support
>>> for R8A7779 device) was a failed attempt to add support for one of members of
>>> the R-Car SoC family.  That's for three reasons: it treated R8A7779 the  same
>>> as SH7724 except including quite dirty hack adding ECMR_ELB  bit  to the mask
>>> in sh_eth_set_rate() while not removing ECMR_RTM bit (despite it's reserved in
>>> R-Car Ether), and it didn't add a new register offset array despite the closest
>>> SH_ETH_REG_FAST_SH4 mapping differs by 0x200 to the offsets all the R-Car Ether
>>> registers have, and also some of the registers in this old mapping don't exist
>>> on R-Car Ether (due to this, SH7724's 'sh_eth_my_cpu_data' structure is not
>>> adequeate for R-Car too).  Fix all these shortcomings, restoring the SH7724
>>> related section to its pristine state...

>>> Signed-off-by: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>

>> Hi Sergei,

>> thanks for this and sorry for not noticing it earlier.
>> I will try exercising it on the r8a7790 lager.

> I am having a little trouble getting bringing up a link on the
> r8a7790 lager. I wonder if:

> * You know of any sh_eth side changes that need to be made,
>    other than adding r8a7790 obvious ones relating to adding
>    ARCH_R8A7790 wherever ARCH_R8A7779 is found.

    Unfortunately, the only datasheet for R8A7790 Ether I have is in Japanese. 
And I don't have the board info either. :-(

> * You have any sample board code for the marzen/r8a7779 or
>    bockw/r8a7778 handy.

    On Marzen the driver simply doesn't work right (and I don't even have the 
datasheet for the Ethernet daughter board that I have, only for some other 
type of board), on the BOCK-W the driver works but I have only tested it with 
the version 1 of Morimoto-san's R8A7778/BOCK-W patches (which included pinmux
support), so this patch doesn't compile anymore with the current 
renesas.git/next. With BOCK-W you need to set 'no_ether_link' in the platform 
data since the Ether's LINK signal is connected to PHY's link/activity LED output.

WBR, Sergei