Subject: Re: [PATCH] iproute2: lib/utils.c bug fixes

From: Mr Dash Four <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:36:38 +0100

Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 06:58:40PM +0100, Mr Dash Four wrote:
>   
>> David Miller wrote:
>>     
>>> The self-rightousness with which people operating under pseudonyms or
>>> names that do not meet the requirements of the developers certificate
>>> of origin react when they are confronted directly about this issue I
>>> find truly appalling.
>>>  
>>>       
>> I assume this was aimed at me, in which case I'll ask again - on what 
>> basis you or Stephen have determined that I do not comply with these 
>> terms (this is a genuine question, not a wind up - just in case you or 
>> anybody else start making assumptions!)?
>>     
>
> Please don't play a cat and mouse game with the folks around here. Is your
> submission signed off with your *real* name?
*Yes* - I thought that was pretty obvious.

Stephen determined that for whatever reason the name appearing in the 
Signed-By tag "is a bit strange", so it must either be made up or a 
pseudonym and I took issue with this.

>  This is a simple requirement for patch submissions.
Which is fair enough, I suppose.

> Why do you let the people reviewing and perhaps committing
> your patch guess? Just clarify it in one sentence.
I am not sure I understand that question, but my patch submission is 
simply to correct 3 bugs in the current iproute2 tree - there is no 
other (ulterior) motive behind it. I am letting people reviewing (or 
committing) that patch as they are the (current/rightful) maintainers of 
this project (iproute2). This (the reason for issuing the patch and the 
subsequent request to review it) was made, I think pretty clear, in the 
patch submission heading.

> If it is not your real name it does violate the policy. It is that simple.
>   
I was perfectly aware of that before making that submission - as I 
already pointed out in one of my previous posts, this isn't my first 
submission (in the kernel tree as well as in other open-source projects) 
and I hope it won't be the last.