Subject: Re: getting VF link info seems to be broken in 3.9-rc8

From: Or Gerlitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:07:54 +0300

On 24/04/2013 19:01, Greg Rose wrote:
>  From our validation engineer Sibai Li (added to response):
>
> I tested 3.9.0-rc8, I have no problem to list vf info. But I didn’t run
> in FPP mode. But I don't think it's a matter. From the info he gave
> here, I didn’t see he loaded the vf driver when he ran in kernel
> 3.9.0-rc8, but he did load the driver in 3.8.8.
>
> ---------
>
> I'd add that having the VF driver loaded shouldn't make any difference.

I have tested again (this  time the server is booted on net-next which 
is 3.9-rc8+) and the VF driver IS loaded, but stillno sign for the VF in 
the ip link show output

# lspci | grep Eth
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network 
Connection (rev 01)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network 
Connection (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit 
SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit 
SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
05:10.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller 
Virtual Function (rev 01)
05:10.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599 Ethernet Controller 
Virtual Function (rev 01)

# lsmod | grep ixgbe
ixgbevf                34062  0
ixgbe                 150783  0
hwmon                   1839  1 ixgbe
mdio                    4263  1 ixgbe
ptp                     8400  2 ixgbe,igb
dca                     6822  3 ixgbe,igb,ioatdma

# /mnt/upstream/tools/iproute2/ip/ip link show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode 
DEFAULT
     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master br0 
state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:25:90:36:9c:ec brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:25:90:36:9c:ed brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
10: eth11: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:1b:21:55:1d:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
11: eth10: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:1b:21:55:1d:01 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
12: eth22: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 3a:20:bd:09:ce:9d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
13: eth20: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 52:42:81:a7:6e:da brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
14: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state 
UP mode DEFAULT
     link/ether 00:25:90:36:9c:ec brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
17: eth16: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state 
DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:02:c9:e6:01:11 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
18: eth17: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state 
DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:02:c9:e6:01:12 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
19: eth18: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:02:c9:e6:02:11 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
20: eth19: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:02:c9:e6:02:12 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
21: eth28: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:02:c9:e6:03:11 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
22: eth27: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode 
DEFAULT qlen 1000
     link/ether 00:02:c9:e6:03:12 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

# pwd

/sys/class/net

# ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:44 br0 -> ../../devices/virtual/net/br0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:44 eth0 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/net/eth0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:44 eth1 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/net/eth1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:45 eth10 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/0000:05:00.1/net/eth10
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:45 eth11 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/0000:05:00.0/net/eth11
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:51 eth16 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:04:00.0/net/eth16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:51 eth17 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:04:00.0/net/eth17
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:51 eth18 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:04:00.1/net/eth18
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:51 eth19 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:04:00.1/net/eth19
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:44 eth20 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/0000:05:10.1/net/eth20
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:44 eth22 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:09.0/0000:05:10.0/net/eth22
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:51 eth27 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:04:00.2/net/eth27
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:51 eth28 -> 
../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:04:00.2/net/eth28
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 24 18:44 lo -> ../../devices/virtual/net/lo