Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 1/3] net: phy: prevent linking breakage

From: Alexandre Belloni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 10:21:26 +0200

Hi,

On 28/05/2013 22:09, David Miller wrote:
>
> This is the wrong way to go about this.
>
> If the arch code absolutely requires CONFIG_PHYLIB=y then express that
> dependency in the arch Kconfig.  The arch code in question should not
> be compiled at all if CONFIG_PHYLIB has an incompatible setting.
But that is making it impossible to compile a kernel without any network
stack for those platforms or we are going back to either enclosing the
calls to phy_register_fixup{,_for_uid,_for_id} with #ifdef CONFIG_PHYLIB
or if(IS_BUILTIN(CONFIG_PHYLIB)). And as you can see, it is quite error
prone and is done only done for 2 platforms on a total of 6. I believe
fixing that in phy.h is more foolproof.

Regards,

-- 
Alexandre Belloni, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com