Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 net-next 2/5] net: implement support for low latency socket polling

From: Eliezer Tamir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 08:58:33 +0300

On 29/05/2013 22:08, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 21:52 +0300, Or Gerlitz wrote:
>> Eliezer Tamir <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Or Gerlitz wrote:
>>
>>>> Unlike with TCP sockets, UDP sockets may receive packets from multiple
>>>> sources and hence the receiving context may be steered to be executed
>>>> on different cores through RSS or other Flow-Steering HW mechanisms
>>>> which could mean different napi contexts for the same socket, is that
>>>> a problem here? what's the severity?
>>
>>> Nothing will break if you poll on the wrong queue.
>>> Your data will come through normal NAPI processing of the right queue.
>>
>> Can you elaborate a little further, why you call this "wrong" and "right"?
>> --
>
> This definitely need some documentation, because before llpoll, device
> RX path was serviced by the cpu receiving the harwdare interrupt.
>
> So the "wrong" queue could add false sharing, and wrong NUMA
> allocations.

Yes,
To work properly when you have more than one NUMA node, you have to have 
packet steering set up, either by your NIC or by HW accelerated RFS.

I would like to add a short writeup of the design and suggested 
configuration. Where should it go?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introducing AppDynamics Lite, a free troubleshooting tool for Java/.NET
Get 100% visibility into your production application - at no cost.
Code-level diagnostics for performance bottlenecks with <2% overhead
Download for free and get started troubleshooting in minutes.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap1
_______________________________________________
E1000-devel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/e1000-devel
To learn more about Intel&#174; Ethernet, visit http://communities.intel.com/community/wired