Subject: Re: [PATCH] MDIO: FSL_PQ_MDIO: Fix bug on incorrect offset of tbipa register

From: Oded Gabbay <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:09:35 +0300

Oded Gabbay wrote:
>> Note: This patch may break MDIO functionallity of some old 
>> Freescale's SoC
>> until Freescale will fix their device tree files. Basically, every 
>> device tree
>> which contains an mdio device that is compatible to "fsl,gianfar-tbi" 
>> should be
>> examined.
>
> On 06/12/2013 04:04 PM, Timur Tabi wrote:
> I haven't had a chance to review the patch in detail, but I can tell 
> you that breaking compatibility with older device trees is 
> unacceptable.  You need to add some code, even if it's an ugly hack, 
> to support those trees.
>
I generally agree with this statement except that without this patch, 
almost ALL of Freescale's SoC that uses "fsl,gianfar-tbi" are broken, 
including the older ones. At least this patch fixes some of the device 
trees. Because I'm not working at Freescale, I have a very limited 
access to a few SoC which I could test this patch on. I think it is 
Freescale's responsibility to release a complementary patch to fix the 
rest of the SoC device trees.

Oded