Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/8] sh_eth: deal with #ifdef'fery

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 04:02:48 +0400

On 06/15/2013 04:00 AM, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:

>>>     This series deals mostly with excess #ifdef'fery in the 'sh_eth'
>>> driver.
>>> It doesn't yet get rid of all the #ifdef'fery but that's a matter of
>>> another
>>> patchset. The last patch (it was almost in the middle of the series
>>> before),
>>> contrarywise, adds one missing #ifdef...

>>> [1/8] sh_eth: remove #ifdef around EDSR and GECMR bit definitions
>>> [2/8] sh_eth: use EDSR_ENALL to set EDSR
>>> [3/8] sh_eth: remove duplicate sh_eth_set_duplex() definitions
>>> [4/8] sh_eth: remove SH_ETH_HAS_TSU
>>> [5/8] sh_eth: add IRQ flags to 'struct sh_eth_cpu_data'
>>> [6/8] sh_eth: remove #ifdef around sh_eth_select_mii()
>>> [7/8] sh_eth: consolidate sh_eth_reset()
>>> [8/8] sh_eth: enclose PM code into #ifdef CONFIG_PM

>> Thanks for your work on this. I'm looking forward to a sh-eth driver
>> without #ifdef hell.

>> It may be just me misunderstanding, but the other day I noticed that
>> external PHY handling seems broken in the sh-eth driver. I tried to
>> enable a micron PHY driver but could not make the pieces fit together.

>     What kernel you were using, net-next? It seems that the PHY support
> is indeed broken after this series.

    Oh, I mixed it up. It's broken by the next series, which moved most 
of the SoC specific code out of #ifdef's.

> The phylib simply reports that it didn't find a PHY at the specified address. :-/
>     I'll continue to investigate this on the weekend...

>> Cheers,

>> / magnus

WBR, Sergei