Subject: Re: [PATCH] build some drivers only when compile-testing

From: Tomi Valkeinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:35:16 +0300

On 18/06/13 07:51, Michal Marek wrote:

>> Sam Ravnborg (the kconfig ex-maintainer) once wrote that he doesn't want
>> to extend the kconfig language for this purpose (which I support). That
>> a config option is fine and sufficient in this case [1]. Except he
>> called the config option "SHOW_ALL_DRIVERS". Adding the current
>> maintainer to CCs ;).
> 
> I agree with Sam. 'depends on XY || COMPILE_TEST' is quite
> self-explanatory. And even if it's not, you can look up the help text
> for COMPILE_TEST. With "archdepends on" or "available on", you need to
> know what to look for to override the dependency.

I would rather have "depends on", when the code actually depends on
something (i.e. you can't compile/load the code otherwise), and "used
on"/"available on" when the code is just normally not used except on the
listed platforms (but nothing prevents from compiling and using the code
on all platforms).

But I'm fine with COMPILE_TEST or similar, I guess it's an acceptable
compromise and trivial to implement. Even if we had "used on" we'd still
need to update the Kconfig file when the code is being used on a new
platform, just like with COMPILE_TEST.

 Tomi