Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/7] net: use platform_{get,set}_drvdata()

From: Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 02:51:52 +0400

Hello.

On 08/16/2013 02:39 AM, David Miller wrote:

>> From: Libo Chen <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:01:17 +0800

>>> Use the wrapper functions for getting and setting the driver data using
>>> platform_device instead of using dev_{get,set}_drvdata() with &pdev->dev,
>>> so we can directly pass a struct platform_device.

>>> changelog v3:
>>> 	remove modify about dev_set_drvdata()
>>> changelog v2:
>>> 	this version add modify record about dev_set_drvdata().

>> Series applied.

> Actually, I had to revert, these patches break the build.

> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c: In function ‘happy_meal_pci_probe’:
> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c:3114:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘platform_set_drvdata’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c: In function ‘happy_meal_pci_remove’:
> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c:3162:9: error: implicit declaration of function ‘platform_get_drvdata’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunhme.c:3162:26: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]

    Hm, patch #5 was clearly defective as it tried to call 
platform_{get|set}_drvdata() on PCI devices -- I've read the patch but 
overlooked that. And the driver lacks #include <linux/platform_device.h>, so 
I'm not sure it always compiled flawlessly.

WBR, Sergei