Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/8] Drop support for Renesas H8/300 architecture

From: Chen Gang F T <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:52:17 +0800

On 09/03/2013 11:26 AM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 09/02/2013 07:53 PM, Chen Gang F T wrote:
>> Hello Guenter Roeck:
>>
>>
>> I don't care about whether I am in cc mailing list, but at least,
>> please help confirm 2 things:
>>
>>    Is what I had done for h8300 just making wastes and noisy in kernel and related sub-system mailing list ?
>>
>>    and is the disccusion about h8300 between us also wastes and noisy in kernel mailing list ?
>>
> 
> It raised my awareness of the status of h8300 maintenance,
> so I would not see it as noise or waste. I might have suggested
> a different target for your efforts, but that is your choice to make,
> not mine.
> 

OK, thank you for your confirmation, I plan to scan all architectures
one by one with allmodconfig.

Hmm... if suitable, next, when I focus one of architectures, I also cc
to you, if it can be removed, please let me know in time, so can avoid
sending waste mails to mailing list.

I plan to try one of architectures within arc, hexagon, and metag. I
will begin at 2013-09-20 (or later), if some (or all) of them can be
removed, please let me know, thanks.

> On the code review side, I had suggested that you should not add new
> ifdefs into code, much less unnecessary ones. Your counter-argument
> was that you wanted to follow the existing coding style in the file
> in question. To me, that argument is along the line of "the coding
> style in this file is bad, let's do more of it".

Hmm... in fact, I will not say whether the code style is good or bad. I
mainly focus on to try to avoid multiple code styles within one file.

  extreme sample: let 'kernel code style' and 'gcc code style' in one file, that will make the code very ugly.

> That doesn't make much sense to me, so I did not bother to respond.
> Setting that aside, it is not up to me to approve or reject your patches.
> Whoever does that would be the one you have to convince.
> 

OK, I can understand, and now it seems it can be canceled, since h8300
has been removed.

> Guenter

Thanks.
-- 
Chen Gang