Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 2/4] net: Add lower dev list helpers

From: John Fastabend <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 13:43:09 -0700

On 09/14/2013 05:27 AM, Veaceslav Falico wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 11:46:49AM -0700, John Fastabend wrote:
>> This patch adds helpers to traverse the lower dev lists, these
>> helpers match the upper dev list implementation.
>>
>> VSI implementers may use these to track a list of connected netdevs.
>> This is easier then having drivers do their own accounting.
>
> Just as a note (as I have quite no idea how ixgbe works) - you are aware
> that the upper/lower lists currently include *all* upper/lower devices, and
> not only the first-connected ones?

Yep, the netif_is_vsi_port() should hopefully catch all the cases.

>
> I've seen that you usually verify it, however not always, just a heads-up -
> sorry if misread.

I'll audit it again, maybe I missed a case.

>
> I'm also currently trying to get the new patchset included - which would
> split the first-tier connected devices from all the 'other' (as in - lower
> of a lower and upper of an upper) devices, so that way, I think, it would
> be easier/faster for you to use it. It also has a ->private field, easily
> accessible, which you could have used instead of/in conjunction with/for
> struct ixgbe_vsi_adapter.

Yeah I saw the patch set I'll use the improved lists once I see the
series gets applied. Although in my case the list walking only occurs in
the configuration path so its not critical.

Also the net device structure already has private space to hang the
device dependent structure off of, so I'm not sure having another
private field helps here.

Thanks,
John

-- 
John Fastabend         Intel Corporation